It’s spring and that means it’s time for a facelift–for your kitchen backsplash!
A backsplash is like jewelry: simple or snazzy, it can bring a whole look together. At 30-50 square feet of eye-popping real estate, a backsplash gives you the chance to set the tone for the entire kitchen. There are no hard rules when it comes to choosing the right or perfect one, but there are some DO’s and DON’T’s that can help.
- DO decide what you want your backsplash to accomplish. Do you want it to make a statement or fade into the background?
- Make sure to DO research so you can get an idea of what kind of styles you like. Some options are traditional, contemporary, rustic, or transitional.
- If you are designing a whole new kitchen, DO the rest of the kitchen first (if possible) and have it installed so that you can bring home samples and cut out the guesswork.
- When you go to a store, DO bring (if possible) samples of your cabinet, countertop and floor to get the best match for style and color.
- The design should be used to balance out the light and dark shades of the other elements, so if you have light cabinets and countertops, you may want to choose a dark backsplash to bring more depth to the kitchen. If you have very dark cabinets or countertops, a light backsplash will help the kitchen feel fresh.
- DO bring a trusted friend to give you a second opinion.
- DO keep an open mind. There are so many new materials and styles on the market every day. You never know what you will come across and fall in love with!
- DON’T bring more than one friend when you go shopping. You know what they say about too many cooks in a kitchen — and this is your kitchen!
- DON’T forget about grout. The grout color can change the entire look of the backsplash by making the style and colors stand out or helping them blend in.
What is my tile pick for a backsplash?
The Timeless Marble Asian Statuary 4×12. It’s classic and elegant.
Comment below with your favorite tip on backsplash shopping! We’d love to hear it.
Written By: Adina Sinnreich