Whether you have a pool and feel it’s time for an update, or you’re in the process of finalizing design plans for a new pool, you’ve come to the right place. With the weather getting warmer, it’s almost that time of the year where we prep our backyards and get excited for late night summer gatherings with friends/family.
So, let’s go over a few must-know tips to make sure that you’re completely ready for the job at hand.
1. Define Your Budget & Narrow Down Your Search.
The first thing to do before anything else is define your budget. In order to decide what kind of tile, or how much tile you’ll need, you first have to align your spend to plan accordingly. In the case that you’re just redecorating an existing pool, you may find you have more money to play with; however, if you’re uprooting your backyard to install a pool, funds may be a little tighter. So just make sure that before you start your search, you know exactly the price range per square foot that you can look for.
2. Get Inspired by Design.
After calculations have been made, it’s time to get to the fun part: inspiration! Do you want to have a tropical retreat for yourself? Maybe, a more classic appeal? This is the time to define your design. We love setting up Pinterest boards and entering a rabbit hole of pinning to “Dream Pool”. If getting techie isn’t your thing, you can consult design magazines and see what color schemes stick out to you.
3. Decide How Much You Need.
We’d be amiss if we didn’t mention the importance of calculating the amount of tile you’ll need. Do you want to cover the rim of your pool only, or do you want to also do the pool flooring in tile? What about the surrounding area? Once you have your design, you should ideally have your calculation laid out. Once this is done, you can easily move onto the next step: Choosing your pool tile.
4. Choose Your Tile.
The world of tile can be a little overwhelming if you’re new to it. When you head to a store or shop online, there will be a world of wonders greeting you. You’ll have words like porcelain backing, glass mosaic, marble-look thrown at you and you may become intimidated. But we’re here to clear the air and make it easy. We’re experts that want you to be an expert, too. Here are the different styles of tile that work well for a pool and a bit about each:
- Mosaic: Mosaic tiles are a great, classic choice for any pool. Commonly made from glass, they work extremely well with the transparency of the water. Plus, most have varying shades and finishes on one sheet which is perfect for the person who wants to shake things up a little bit (or just can’t decide on one color).
- Glass: Another pool tile staple is glass. Like mosaic, it works well with pools since it’s reflective. Plus, glass tile is non-porous and strong. While it may be a more costly option, it is one that will last.
- Porcelain: Porcelain tile is known for its durability and low maintenance upkeep. If you’re looking to add to the area surrounding the pool, such-as a patio or deck, this is the tile you’ll want to use.
5. Get Samples To See & Feel.
Once you’ve spent some time narrowing down your selection, you’ll want to order samples so you can see them in person. Having samples handy will allow you to not only see their color in daylight but see how they’d fit your overall design scheme. At TileBar, we always offer 5 samples for $5 with free shipping.
6. Find A Professional to Assist In Making It Happen.
The last, and most important part is installing the tile you decide. In order to make sure that everything goes smoothly, and you don’t have to worry about replacing tile or damaging it, you should always hire a professional.
Do you still have questions? Comment below and let us help you create the pool of your dreams!